-
October 28th, 2004, 07:33 PM
#1
Inactive Member
All the recent posts about retirements have got me thinking more about the potential for more of them. Things have been quiet for a while other than the last few of the first short story dresses, but I still worry.
So, here are some questions for everyone...feel free to answer one or all. I'm just looking for some different perspectives.
1. Would you mind retirements if they introduced something new for every item that was retired?
2. Would you mind the retirements if they gave a warning about it on the website?
3. If AG claimed that "more space" is needed before they could release any new historical girls (not friends), should they retire some items from the current collections or just not make any new dolls?
4. Do you think AG should only release small collections, like Kaya's, to ensure that their would only be a remote chance of anything being retired?
5. Do you consider anything released outside of a girl's collection from the original six books limited edition and expect that it will, at some point, retire? (for example, the new outfits that came out this summer)
6. Should the friends dolls be retired after a year like the Limited Edition AGT dolls or should they become a permanent part of the historical girl's collection, and if so, should items from the girl's collection be retired to keep room for the friend?
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 28, 2004 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Cleopatra of the Nile ]</font>
-
October 28th, 2004, 09:42 PM
#2
Inactive Member
if they gave a warning about something that would be retired, then everyone would buy it and it would be popular.
-
October 28th, 2004, 09:49 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Interesting topic- wish AG would make this an official survey for girls and all us adult collectors.
1. Would you mind retirements if they introduced something new for every item that was retired?
Well, that depends. I wouldn't mind the retirements of added on items (those that weren't part of the original complete collection, for example, Kirsten's Midsummer Outfit), IF we were warned well in advance of their retirement so we could have enough time to save up and buy them OR if AG said something firm when they were released like they do with the Limited Edition dolls. But I don't like how they got rid of things that were really important in the original six stories of the dolls or are just so practically needed- like Felicity's Riding Habit and Work Gown, and Kirsten's Dirndl. I also really hate how they got rid of the school supplies for Felicity, Addy, and Josefina. This company's supposed to be about education and yet it's skimping on the school collection. Odd. Otherwise, I kind of like periodic new outfits coming out for the historicals, and would appreciate them more if we got fair warning about things being discontinued. Can't comment on AGT- I don't collect for that.
2. Would you mind the retirements if they gave a warning about it on the website?
See above- only if it gave all of us enough time to buy the things. At least a couple months seems reasonable, so people could be sure to set aside the money. Again, I don't like retirements of items critical to the original set of stories.
3. If AG claimed that "more space" is needed before they could release any new historical girls (not friends), should they retire some items from the current collections or just not make any new dolls?
I'd vote for a third option- put out large annual catalogs that show entire collections (I'd be willing to pay for such a catalog) and smaller supplemental catalogs of new releases throughout the year (smaller and fewer than the current catalogs). More like Stampin' Up. Personally, I think it's ridiculous to limit products just because of problems with advertising. Seems to me, there are a lot of solutions they're not investigating (like the above- or having catalogs that just introduce each doll and you can order full catalogs for each doll). And, if it's a problem with warehouses, they should deal with those costs. It seems odd to limit product just because you don't want to expand your storage space (of course, this comes from a collector whose collection currently exceeds her storage space and it doesn't inhibit me one bit!).
4. Do you think AG should only release small collections, like Kaya's, to ensure that their would only be a remote chance of anything being retired?
NO NO NO! I think a main factor in Kaya's lack of sales is that her collection is so small. Such a small number of outfits and accessories really limits her play value. Plus, on a personal note, I just love all the miniatures and dresses. I like having enough clothes and items to change my display every month by the season, and as a kid I loved having plenty of things to make Kirsten real.
5. Do you consider anything released outside of a girl's collection from the original six books limited edition and expect that it will, at some point, retire? (for example, the new outfits that came out this summer)
I do now, after they retired so many of them. I do wish they still gave us warning, though. Some have been around for a decade (like Sam's play dress), while others are retired so quickly.
6. Should the friends dolls be retired after a year like the Limited Edition AGT dolls or should they become a permanent part of the historical girl's collection, and if so, should items from the girl's collection be retired to keep room for the friend?
I can't see how, long-term, a friend doll takes up much room. Just one doll and perhaps a few accessories doesn't seem that space consumptive, but maybe that's just me. If things would have to be retired to make room, it seems that a few smaller items would need to make way for the new doll, and I don't like that idea. I don't know... it doesn't seem fair to the kids that start collecting later if the friends only come out for a limited time. Boy, ebay prices would go soaring...
-
October 28th, 2004, 09:51 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I am totally ok with retirements as long as there is a fair warning before so I can get the items.
I would assume any retirement would be replaced with new items. Otherwise they wouldn't have anything left to sell. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Since I enjoy new items, I'm ok with retirement, because retirement is necessary to make room for new items.
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 28, 2004 06:58 PM: Message edited by: SarahS ]</font>
-
October 28th, 2004, 09:57 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Here are some quick answers, as I need to get back to finishing up my DDs' costumes!!!
1. Yes, I think I would still not want to see retirements even with new introductions (see more on this below).
2. A warning on the website would certainly help soften the blow!
3.This is a hard one, but I think if they don't have space for more historicals I would like to see them continue to focus on the ones they already have.
4. I think Kaya's collection is okay for her (since there are built-in limitations), but I would not want to see other collections get this small . . . no, no, no!!!!
5. Yes, I do rather expect the "extra" outfits to retire after a reasonable amount of time (1-2 years?). This can help keep sales invigorated and keep the collection "fresh".
6. I am torn on the friends dolls, but I think they should be kept as part of the permanent collection because I would feel bad for little girls (and collectors) who couldn't get their doll's friend just because they started collecting after the friend retired.
Thanks for the interesting questions!
Shawn
-
October 28th, 2004, 10:01 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Horsemom: LOL, I also said "no, no, no" to question 4 before I saw your reply!!! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
October 28th, 2004, 10:23 PM
#7
courtneysunshine
Guest
1. Would you mind retirements if they introduced something new for every item that was retired?
For the Historicals I wouldn't like retirements regardless of whether they introduced new things or not. I think they should continue to carry outfits and accessories that are in the books. Children who are just now getting into the books will miss out on things that have been retired and it isn't fair to them. For the AGOT I can understand retirements and it wouldn't bother me at all.
2. Would you mind the retirements if they gave a warning about it on the website?
Again, for the Historicals I don't think they should retire anything. The stories don't change so why should the outfits and accessories that go with them change. Giving notice wouldn't help those kids down the rode who want something from one of the books that has been retired before they were old enough to enjoy AG. For the AGOT it would be nice to have notice.
3. If AG claimed that "more space" is needed before they could release any new historical girls (not friends), should they retire some items from the current collections or just not make any new dolls?
I would rather they not make any new dolls. The books can stand the test of time and have remained popular so I think the outfits and accessories would remain popular so there wouldn't be a need for new dolls.
4. Do you think AG should only release small collections, like Kaya's, to ensure that their would only be a remote chance of anything being retired?
If it were feasible, I would like to have the larger collections. It gives a greater variety for those just starting to collect while still holding interest for those who have collected for years.
5. Do you consider anything released outside of a girl's collection from the original six books limited edition and expect that it will, at some point, retire? (for example, the new outfits that came out this summer)
If an item comes with a book that will still be available, I don't think they should retire the item. If they do not, like the outfits released this Spring, it wouldn't bother me or my daughter for it to go.
6. Should the friends dolls be retired after a year like the Limited Edition AGT dolls or should they become a permanent part of the historical girl's collection, and if so, should items from the girl's collection be retired to keep room for the friend?
We aren't big fans of the friend dolls so it wouldn't matter to us if they were retired or not. Again, I don't think anything should be retired from the main doll's collection. I think if AG wants to explore different cultures or areas of interest, they should do this with the LE dolls like Kailey & Lindsey. That way they can still approach the subjects they want, but not take up valuable space needed for the core group of Historicals.
Kim
-
October 28th, 2004, 10:30 PM
#8
Inactive Member
1. As long as it is not something important from the stories, no.
2.no
3.If it came to that I wouldn't make new dolls.
4. I think if new collections were released they should at best be Kit-sized.
5.I don't consider it technically LE of course, but I get what your saying, and yes, after 2-3 these things do retire.
6.No.
<font color="#051E50"><font size="1">[ October 28, 2004 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Felicity+Addyfan ]</font></font>
<font color="#051E50" size="1">[ December 27, 2004 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Felicity+Addyfan ]</font>
-
October 28th, 2004, 11:55 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Cleopatra, I think you have posed some very good questions. They also seem like the perfect to ponder while my husband finishes making dinner.
1. Just so long as none of the standard "six-story" collection stuff is retired, I wouldn't mind old stuff being retired to make way for new stuff. I am an avid Molly collector. I have her whole collection except for the trunk and I get so excited when there is something new for her.
2. I would have no problems with retirements that come with a warning. It would be nice if there was some way to put a limit on how many of a soon-to-be-retired item can be purchased. This would help lessen the load of e-bay sellers taking advantage of the situation. However, I am sure there are ways around that, so I would probably accept any decision that AG makes on this topic.
3. I love seeing new products introduced. If some items had to be retired in order to introduce new items, I suppose I would come to accept that, but still not be thrilled about it. However, I do hold the outfits from the six stories to be sacred and believe that those should never be retired.
4. No, no, no! I understand why Kaya has a small collection and I love that AG is being true to Kaya's history. But if a doll's history allows for a larger collection then definitely bring on the goodies!
5. I have always believed that anything outside of the six story collection will eventually disappear. It isn't fun to see an outfit that you love be retired, but that is just part of business.
6. I think the friends dolls should be a permanent part of the collection. The limited edition AGTs are acceptable because those are meant to be modern dolls. After a few years they are no longer modern. The historical friends will always remain historical, so those should stay.
-
October 29th, 2004, 01:15 AM
#10
courtneysunshine
Guest
Dianna, we were fortunate enough to have DH make dinner as well so I could relax on the computer [img]smile.gif[/img] He really is a better chef than I am. I like to experiment too much [img]redface.gif[/img] We seem to have them (DHs) well trained [img]wink.gif[/img]
Kim
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks